Wednesday 7 July 2010

A Fabric Sale & A Birthday!!


OH NO!!! How could I have FORGOTTEN!!! You'd all hate me if I didn't tell you! I'm going to say the magic words that makes all stitchers' hearts dance with glee ...

THERE'S A SUPER SALE AT QUILTERS ANGEL!!!
The lovely Marion and Steph of Quilters' Angel are about to embark on a new adventure and so they have less to pack and move, they're having a SUPER STORE SALE! If you're within driving distance of Highfields, I recommend you scoot along and have a look, cos there are LOTS of goodies at my home-away-from-home! :0) The sale is for three days only ...

Friday July 9, Saturday July 10 and Sunday July 11

I'm on a road trip with my Beloved Geek Boy on Friday, but I can see a Saturday visit will be in order, cos, let's face it ... you can NEVER have TOO MUCH fabric or TOO MANY patterns! :0) So make sure you check it out. And when Marion and Steph's new adventure is a little more finalised ... I'll tell you all about it!

Another thing I forgot to include in my post yesterday was a big ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

My Dad turned ... 60 ... something (Tee! Hee! Hee!) yesterday. Here he is as a little tacker ...

Aaaaaawwwww!!! Isn't he CUTE!!! :0) Look at that curly hair ... why couldn't he have passed THAT on to me instead of the podgy genes?!?! And here he is nursing a very special baby ...


It's not a great photo cos the sun is shining into the left, but this is Dad nursing me. (Told you it was a special baby!! In SOOOOOO many ways! Tee! Hee! Hee!)

My Dad is a pretty laid back, quietly spoken bloke. He doesn't say much, but when he does it's usually worth listening to. He's never completed a university degree, run a business or made heaps of money, he'll never win a Nobel Peace prize or a Pulitzer, but when we were growing up, he was always in the audience at school plays and speech nights, helped me learn my debating speeches and quizzed me before history exams,  he exhibited great patience (and nerves of steel!!) to teach me to drive and ferried me over much of Queensland for various youth group and school events.

He was a bit misty eyed as he walked me down the isle on my wedding day and though he didn't make a long speech on the day, he sent me a letter the following week telling me how proud he was of the woman I had grown up to be and telling me I had chosen a wonderful man to spend my life with. I didn't tell him (and maybe I won't or he'll get a swelled head!!) but a lot of the attributes that I love about my Beloved GB are ones he shares with my Dad!! That letter is one of my great treasures and is tucked away in my Joy Journal for days when I'm feeling a little blue.

Dad has a warped sense of humour ... which I seem to have inherited ... along with the podgy genes!!! And he is easy to track down in a huge crowd, cos all you have to do is listen for his distinctive laugh! Although that laugh has caused a few embarrassing moments over the years (mainly because of some of the things he's been laughing at!!) I think it's a nice way to be recognised and remembered.

The black hair now has as much salt as pepper, the whiskers are DEFINITELY grey when they grow, his hearing isn't as good as it was and it takes him a little longer to get out of his recliner chair in front of the TV (accompanied by all sorts of interesting sound effects!!!) but I'm not going to trade him in, in fact, I just plain wouldn't trade him, cos he's my Dad and I love him to bits!! Happy Birthday Dad!!!


Here he is with Mum in a portrait taken for their 40th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. They don't scrub up too badly for a couple of old fogies, do they! Tee! Hee! Hee!

OK ... well ... that's more than I had intended to post today, since I'd only chatted to you all yesterday, but I just HAD to tell you about Marion's sale and tell you how blessed I am to have such a wonderful Dad. And now, I'm off to make a myself a nice cup of rose and French vanilla tea to warm up ... it's currently around 8 degrees and overcast ... AGAIN!! I think I'm going to get a calender and start crossing off the days to count down to spring!!! Hope you're all having a fabulous day ... whatever the weather where you are. Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS

4 comments:

Maria said...

Happy Birthday to Dad.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Dad sounds like a genuine Aussie guy.
You look just like him too.

Unknown said...

Oh Kris what a lovely post , happy birthday to Kris's day , hip hip hooray ! You might like to show your letter over at my blog for Tuesday Treasures .

Mistea said...

I just have to say a laugh is a good thing to be known by - my Granny had a very distinctive laugh that I seemed to inherit along with a wicked sense of humour which means we laugh at things that don't necessarily amuse others. But as she taught me life is for enjoying.

Hope your dad enjoyed his day.

Beeeme! said...

Happy Birthday from Daughter no 4!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...