Saturday 31 August 2013

Once Upon A Time ...

What are your earliest childhood memories? A special event, a person, a special gift?? It's interesting what sticks in our memories, don't you think? When I think back, some of my earliest memories, that also are woven through ALL of my memories through to this very afternoon, are MUSIC and BOOKS.

Some of my earliest memories are of my Dad playing the piano and Mum or Dad reading bedtime stories. In a recent chat with a friend, I was reminded of a FAVOURITE book. It was a Little Golden Book called ...

"DANNY BEAVER'S SECRET"

After chatting to my friend and hearing how she had bought herself a copy of HER favourite childhood book, I went searching through eBay ... and I FOUND it!! :0) Even seeing that familiar cover made me smile ... I did a little happy dance and pressed "BUY"!!! And then I waited for my postie ... and just about tackled him yesterday when he was delivering my parcel. Bet THAT would have surprised him! Tee! Hee! Hee! I quickly had that parcel open and was taking a walk down memory lane ...

The book is in wonderful condition, considering it was published in 1973 (just 3 years after I was born!!) ...

This sweet book was written by Patsy Scarry and it was illustrated by Richard Scarry.

This is a lovely story about Danny Beaver ... obviously! :0) Who decides to create a surprise. To do that, he goes to each of his friends to borrow a little something ...

Straw from Madame Hen ...

... pretty purple flowers from Pussy Cat  (I think this is where my love of violets comes from! :0) ) and assorted other items from his other friends. Then the industrious little beaver drives all his friends mad with the noise of creating his surprise ... AND ... refusing to tell them ... it wouldn't be a surprise if he told, right?! :0) But when all is revealed, they appreciate all his work ...

... and so does Danny Beaver! :0) I really did enjoy rediscovering this childhood favourite. Do you have a favourite book from childhood? Do you still have a copy of it? I'd love to hear what everyone else was reading when they were little tackas. :0)

Okey doke ... I'm off to stuff a wabbit ... a SOFTIE wabbit, of course! :0) I'm hoping to get it finished so I have an actual FINISH to add to my OPAM list for the month ... I've been working on lots of things and finished my floral quilt flimsy, but no finishes so far ... EEK! Better get stitching ... er ... STUFFING! :0) OPAM gals ... have you updated your sidebar lists and emailed Sweet Peg or me??? Quick, quick, hurry, hurry!! :0)

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend so far and that the rest of it is restful, relaxing and creative. Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS





6 comments:

Maria said...

Oh Kris you did bring back memories with the book. I bought it for my girls and I think DD2 still has it.
My favourite book as a kid hmmm long long tme ago was " Rupert Bear" each Christmas I would get an annual of him and his friends....

Annik-Snor said...

I remember that book, I had it in Norwegian and he was called Burre Bever.

Fiona said...

how cute... lovely illustrations .... hope your wabbit got done..
Hugz

Christine M said...

Hi Kris. I remember seeing that book but I don't know if I ever had a copy of it. What a great find and in such good condition too! Enjoy your Sunday.

Chookyblue...... said...

I loved my Little Golden Books............I had quite a few........think there may still be a couple floating around.....I don't remember this one.........

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

LOL......I think I have this one in my boys stash....such wonderful stories...have fun!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...